Minnetonka

The City of Minnetonka is located approximately 15 miles west of downtown Minneapolis and features an abundance for green space, parks, notable shopping areas and a quiet lifestyle. Minnetonka is home to approximately 49,928 residents and is bordered by Excelsior, Deephaven and Wayzata to the west, Plymouth to the north, St. Louis Park, Hopkins and Edina to the east and Eden Prairie to the south.

Minnetonka is easily accessible via Interstates 394 & 494 and Minnesota State Highways 7, three major arterial routes that either border or pass through the city.

The city is mostly residential and the major shopping and retail area is located along Interstate 394 and around Ridgedale Center, a large regional indoor mall that is home to over 170 specialty stores as well as Sears, Macy's and JC Penney. There are several other businesses and stores around this thriving commercial corridor including Target, Best Buy, Byerly's grocery store, Office Depot, Haskell's and Trader Joe's. Notable restaurants in the vicinity include Champps, Origami, and Redstone Grill to name a few.

Further shopping and retail stores are located a short drive east along Highway 55 into the city of Plymouth's main retail corridor around the intersection of Highway 55 and Interstate 494. Here residents will find notable landmarks such as Lowes Home Improvement Center, Lunds grocery store, Lifetime Fitness, Cub Foods, Michaels and several restaurants including Old Chicago, Umbria Pizzeria, Axels, Green Mill, Woody's and Kobe.

Another popular shopping area in Minnetonka is centered on the intersection of Highway 7 and County Road 101. This busy intersection features a Super Target, Fratallone Hardware, bank branches and several fast food restaurants.

Minnetonka is home to the corporate headquarters of Cargill, the country's largest privately owned company and United Healthcare, Minnesota's largest publicly owned company and the largest health insurance company in the country. Other large employers in the city include the Carlson Companies, Famous Dave's and Michael Foods.

Minnetonka features several recreational amenities, most notably Lake Minnetonka which makes up part of the western border of the city. At over 14,000 acres, Lake Minnetonka is made up of numerous bays, inlets and channels and features over 125 mile of shoreline. The lake is one of the most popular lakes in the region for boating, sailing, fishing and swimming. Lake Minnetonka is also the headwaters of the Minnehaha Creek, a popular and unspoiled creek that flows throughout the city eastward towards the Mississippi River.

Additionally, the city of Minnetonka maintains five larger community parks as well as 44 smaller neighborhood parks that feature numerous athletic fields, miles of trails, playgrounds, picnic areas ans several skating and hockey rinks during the winter months.

Minnetonka is covered by three separate highly rated school districts, Hopkins, Minnetonka (ranked 9 out of 10 by greatschools.org) and Wayzata ( also ranked 9 out of 10) . Included in all three districts are thirteen elementary schools, seven middle schools and three of the region's top high schools - Minnetonka, Wayzata and Hopkins. Private schools in Minnetonka include Accell Academy, Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic School and Minnetonka Christian Academy.

Minnetonka contains a majority of home owners, with owner occupied homes making up 76% percent of all households in Minnetonka with the remaining 24% of households classified as renters. Average median household income for Minnetonka is $69,979 per household as compared to an overall household income for Minnesota of $47,111.

Recently, Minnetonka was named one of the top international schools with programs such as Spanish and Chinese immersion beginning at Kindergarten.

Click HERE for City of Minnetonka Website

Click HERE for Minnetonka Schools