Shakopee

The City of Shakopee is a growing community located approximately 30 miles southwest of downtown Minneapolis in the beautiful Minnesota River valley. Shakopee is home to approximately 33,969 residents and is bordered by Jackson and Louisville Townships to the west, the Minnesota River to the north, Savage to the east and Prior Lake and Spring Lake Township to the south.

Shakopee is easily accessible via US Highway 169 and MN Highway 101, two regional thoroughfares in the area that pass through the city.

Shakopee enjoys a small town atmosphere with all of the resources and attractions of a thriving city. The city has its own charming downtown central business district along the banks of the Minnesota River that features several notable shops and restaurants including Turtle's Grill, Wampach's, Pullman Club., V alley Sports, and several small locally owned service-oriented businesses. The Southbridge Shopping Center, on the south side of Highway 169 at County Road 18, features major retailers such as Sam's Club, Wal-Mart, Best Buy and Home Depot. Two other shopping centers, The Crossroads & Shakopee Valley Marketplace feature additional shopping and dining favorites like Hallmark, Cub Foods and Applebee's.

The City of Shakopee is also home to major regional entertainment attractions such as Historic Murphy's Landing, Valleyfair Amusement Park, Mystic Lake Casino, the Minnesota Renaissance Festival and Canterbury Park Racetrack. These well known Twin Cities landmarks bring thousands of visitors to Shakopee and provide activities for all age groups.

Several businesses reside in Shakopee, including high-tech companies ADC Telecommunications and Seagate Technology. Other leading employers in the city are Valleyfair Amusement Park, Imagine! Print Solutions, K Mart Distribution, Shakopee Valley Printing, Shakopee School District, St Francis Regional Medical Center, Certain Teed Corp Anchor Glass Container and Toro Corporation.

The city of Shakopee maintains a large park system that features 500 acres of designated city parks as well as 245 acres of designated open and green space. The recently built Huber Park is one of the newest editions to the Shakopee park system. Located along the beautiful MN River, this popular park features a state-of-the art amphitheater, athletic fields, walking paths and a modern playground for neighborhood children.

The city of Shakopee is served by the Shakopee Public School System, which also serves the adjacent communities of Savage, Prior Lake, and the Jackson, Louisville, and Sand Creek townships. The district includes include six elementary schools, one middle school, one junior high school and Shakopee Senior High School. Shakopee Area Catholic School also resides in the city and Globe University/Minnesota School of Business, a private career college maintains a satellite campus in the city.

Shakopee contains a majority of home owners, with owner occupied homes making up 79% percent of all households in Shakopee with the remaining 21% of households classified as renters. Average median household income for Shakopee is $59,137 per household.

Click HERE for the City of Shakopee Website

Click HERE for Shakpoee Schools