Plymouth

The City of Plymouth is located just 12 miles west of downtown Minneapolis and features extensive trails and parks, tree lined streets and a variety of local businesses and shopping. Named by Money Magazine in 2006 as "Best Place to Live" in the entire country for cities under 300,000 in population, Plymouth is home to approximately 71,930 residents and is bordered by Medina and Orono to the west, Maple Grove to the north, New Hope and Golden Valley to the east and Wayzata and Minnetonka to the south.

Plymouth is easily accessible via Interstate 494, US Highway 169 and Minnesota State Highway 55, three major arterial routes that either border or pass through the city.

The city contains thriving commercial businesses and plenty of shopping options. The city's main retail and shopping areas are along Highway 55, particularly near the intersection of Interstate 494. Here residents will find notable landmarks such as Lowes Home Improvement Center, Lunds grocery store, Lifetime Fitness, Cub Foods, Michaels and several restaurants including Old Chicago, Umbria Pizzeria, Axels, Green Mill, Woody's and Kobe.

There are several businesses located within Plymouth consisting of nearly 50,000 jobs and major industries include insurance, high tech research, medical devices and light manufacturing as well as printing and publishing. The city's largest employers include Carlson Companies, Prudential Insurance, Qwest Communications, Boston Scientific, Honeywell and the corporate headquarters for Select Comfort.

Plymouth residents are close to several natural amenities, including several lakes and ponds, most notably, Medicine Lake, the second largest lake in Hennepin and popular among anglers and boating enthusiasts. Plymouth features 53 designated parks totaling over 1,200 acres including five city parks, four special use facilities, nine playfields and 35 smaller neighborhood and school parks. The popular 230-acre Eagle Lake Regional Park features diverse recreational opportunities, including biking, hiking, cross-country skiing, and snowshoeing. Additionally, the city maintains over 136 miles of walking and biking trails that link with many neighborhood parks, schools, commercial areas and nearby regional trails.

The Hilde Performance Center, an outdoor amphitheater adjacent to the Plymouth City Hall, is a popular cultural attraction for residents Plymouth and hosts several concerts each summer along with recreational activities including puppet shows, water ski show's and Children's Theatre Productions.

There are five different school districts that serve Plymouth students including Wayzata, Robbinsdale. Osseo, the West Metro Education Project and Hopkins. The majority of the city is served by Wayzata Schools, (ranked 9 out of 10 by greatschools.org) which contains seven elementary schools, three middle school and Wayzata High School. Private schools and colleges in Plymouth include Free Lutheran Bible School, Fourth Baptist Christian School, Globe University/Minnesota School of Business, Providence Academy and West Lutheran High School.

Plymouth contains a majority of home owners, with owner occupied homes making up just 77% percent of all households in Plymouth with the remaining 23% of households classified as renters. Average median household income for Plymouth is $77,008 per household as compared to an overall household income for Minnesota of $47,111.

Click HERE for City of Plymouth website

Click HERE for Plymouth Area Schools