Brooklyn Center

The City of Brooklyn Center is a first tier suburb located just 8 miles northwest of downtown Minneapolis along the banks of the Mississippi River. Brooklyn Center is home to approximately 29,172 residents and is bordered by Crystal and Brooklyn Park to the west, Brooklyn Park to the north, the Mississippi River to the east and Robbinsdale and Minneapolis to the south.

Brooklyn Center is easily accessible via Minnesota State Highway 100 and Interstate 94/694, two major regional thoroughfares that pass through the city.

The city contains a good mix of residential uses, commercial businesses and retail shopping areas. Brookdale, located in the southern portion of the city, is a large indoor regional mall that is home to over 75 specialty stores including Macy's, Kohl's and Sears. Adjacent to Brookdale along Brooklyn Boulevard are several additional casual dining options, restaurants, coffee shops, a Cub Foods grocery store, Target, Movie Theater, pharmacy, bank branches and a few health clinics, most notable the award winning Park Nicollet Health Clinic.

Brooklyn Center celebrates its heritage each year with a hugely popular annual festival called Earle Brown Days, named after one of the more famous residents of the city and former Hennepin County sheriff and founder of the State Highway Patrol. This festival is popular with all ages and features a parade and several family-oriented events.

The City of Brooklyn Center features 522-acres of parks and nature centers conveniently located throughout the city. The extensive and well-maintained park system includes several recreational amenities for all agers such as archery ranges, walking/biking paths, playgrounds, picnic areas, basketball, tennis and volleyball courts, athletic fields, and hockey rinks during the winter months, The nearby North Mississippi Regional Park, located along the west bank of the Mississippi River, is another popular park that features miles of paths and a plethora of green space an open areas.

Approximately one third of Bloomington is dedicated to green space and parkland including the 2,000-acre Hyland-Bush Anderson Park Preserve, the 500-acre Marsh Lake Park and the adjacent Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge, one of only four American national wildlife refuges in an urban setting, and the largest. As some of the largest parks in the entire region, these expansive areas offer golfing, fishing, down- hill and cross-country skiing, canoeing, boat rentals and miles and miles of walking and biking paths.

The Centerbrook Golf Course, a challenging nine-hole, par three layout is located on 28 acres in the heart of the city and appeals to all levels of golfers. Additionally, a 20-mile trail system extending into neighboring cities means that residents can walk or bicycle almost anywhere in minutes.

Brooklyn Center is divided into four school districts: Anoka-Hennepin, Osseo, Robbinsdale and Brooklyn Center. Depending on where families live within the city, residents have several highly ranked elementary, middle and high schools to choose from including Armstrong, Cooper, Osseo and Brooklyn Park High Schools.

The city is also home to the following higher education institutions: Brown College, Minnesota School of Business & Globe University, National American University and the North Hennepin Community College is conveniently located in the adjacent suburb of Brooklyn Park.

Brooklyn Center contains a majority of home owners, with owner occupied homes making up 69% percent of all households in Brooklyn Center with the remaining 31% of households classified as renters. Average median household income for Brooklyn Center is $44,570 per household as compared to an overall household income for Minnesota of $47,111.

Click HERE for City of Brooklyn Center website

Click HERE for City of Brooklyn Center Schools